Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Fabric doll house




A while back I pinned a bunch of sewing projects for the girls, and one of them was this fabric dollhouse tutorial from U.K .lass in U.S..  The girls saw a similar one at the neighbor's house and were in love with it, so I knew they'd be excited if I made one.  I wasn't planning on making one until closer to their birthday, but then Young House Love and Bower Power threw out their Spring Pinterest Challenge and I knew this is what I would tackle. 


Just a couple of princesses chilling in their fancy egg chairs looking out upon the garden.  All they need is some tea.

This was not a quick project for me.  The tutorial only included fabric dimensions for the inside to be one fabric and the outside to be another.  But I wanted the roof to be one fabric, the siding another, the inside walls another, and a lawn area to stand out.  I wish I would've made the floor a different fabric but I was afraid to make it too complicated. 

[UPDATE-
I can't find my notes, but I think the fabric pieces I used were these dimensions:
For the Outside - make a 21"x9" panel from 2 roof pieces 4"x9" and siding piece 15"x9"
For the Inside - make a 21"x9" panel from inside house piece 13.5"x9" and grass piece 8.5"x9"
Side Panels - 2 6"x9" siding fabric pieces joined to 2 6"x9" inside house fabric pieces using the pinning method discussed in the tutorial.

Use 1/2 seam allowances when sewing together fabric pieces.  It gets a little tricky assembling the house because the tutorial doesn't list a specific batting to use.  So it's hard to know how much or little to use.]


I like that you can take this tutorial and make the house look like a barn, a police or fire station, a log cabin, a school - any theme your child may be interested in.  I decided to keep it simple and make a little cottage.  I embellished the outside with some felt to add a door, window, flowers, and shrubs. 

Button flowers and picket fence.

Notice the little bunny button!

Of course I need to make another house so that each girl can have one - next I plan to make a log cabin with a fire pit, fishing pond, and stone path.  I also plan to make a tent and sleeping bags so their dolls can camp out! 

Notice the statement art piece - Monet's Water Lilies.  Love this fabric.

They've already told me this will be Cinderella's and Ariel's house and that they are best friends.  They thankfully love it!

Check out the other Spring Pinterest Challenge projects at - Young House Love, Sparkle Meets Pop, Redbird-Blue, and Bower Power.

Also posted at:


2 comments:

  1. So cute!!! I love the fabric on the roof and the white fence!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party
    http://usscrafty.blogspot.com/2013/05/submarine-sunday-30.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute project! Love your lovely house!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete