Monday, May 19, 2014

The Maia Dress


So... I was pretty dang excited a couple weeks ago when I received an email from Kate of See Kate Sew saying that she was testing a collection of women patterns and that I could pick one to try!  I had signed up to do so a while ago but didn't think I'd get the chance.  I love her style and am amazed at how she keeps cranking out creative pattern after pattern.  Anyway, I chose to test the Maia Dress/Top.


The dress consists of a fitted bodice that stops mid bust and continues on with a gathered skirt.  It also has a retro feel with a mod round collar that meets at the center back.  The skirt is a bit flowy, (see below) and I prefer to belt it to control looking extra wide with this wacky tribal-stripe printed crepe de chine I found at JoAnn Fabrics.  Looking at the entire Garden Party pattern collection now, I think it would be best to pair very spring-like and airy pastel fabrics with the patterns in the future.
A close up of the collar and fabric...


This was the first time I've used crepe de chine and I absolutely love it!  It's easier to sew with than rayon challis (which I love to wear) and has the same weight and feel to it.  I bought a few other prints that I can't wait to sew with.  

The Garden Party Collection of Women's patterns by See Kate Sew is being released today!  Check it out!!!  I have my eye on the Emaline (that bow!) and Olive.


11 comments:

  1. Super cute!! I love it with the belt! Looks really comfy too...my kinda dress ;) Would probably look good with leggings, boots and cardy in the fall/winter too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I think this would be perfect for fall that way!

      Delete
  2. This dress is great, I love that it can be dressed up or down depending on your needs. Great job! Love the fabric by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - the fabric is quite different than most in my wardrobe so it's kinda fun.

      Delete
  3. I love the fabric you've chosen Renee. I've seen the pastel versions on Kate's site so it was great to see a really vibrant version here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I really like the blues and pinks in it and different stripes.

      Delete
  4. The fabric is great! I sewed with rayon challis and loved it so I need to try crepe de chine soon. It looks so cute on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, try it - like silk but even easier to sew.

      Delete
  5. Looks good . Quite boxy but with the belt its just perfect. Hoppping over from SimpleSimonAndCo. Do visit me at TheHobbyHarbor - Diya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those colors look fabulous on you! Great work on the neckline and sleeves too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to see a different style of collar being used and the lovely bright fabric suits the style

    ReplyDelete