Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Picnic Skirt


While participating in Skirt Week 2013, I came up with several ideas I wanted to try out.  One was this Picnic Skirt with watermelon pockets!  The girls are always asking for skirts with pockets, so of course this is a hit with them.  


The fabric is Riley Blake Red Gingham and the watermelon is made up of a red and green cotton from Jo-Ann's.  I used white piping for the rind.  The seeds are a bunch of french knots.  This was my first time making french knots, so I went a little overboard.
I didn't use a pattern making this skirt so there is room for improvement.  The skirt is about 13 inches long and I used a selvage to selvage width.  I made some half circle patterns for the watermelon and added seam allowances for sandwiching the piping.  I then added the seeds and sewed the pockets onto the skirt after it was gathered.  The pockets are a little wide, but still really cute.  (and so is the kid in it!)


nap-time creations



Also linked at:


>

3 comments:

  1. This is so creative - I love the watermelon pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How adorable! The little girl AND the skirt!
    Gina
    http://ginascraftcorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete